It has been observed that those who have schizophrenia, a chronic psychological illness, usually have diets that are unhealthy, low in fiber and fruit, and high in saturated fats. Unhealthy eating habits typically lead to other health problems which can also put people with schizophrenia at high risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and more. According to research, dietary changes do really help manage schizophrenia. Here are some best and worst foods for schizophrenia.
Foods to eat
Many studies show that people with schizophrenia usually do not get enough fiber, and thus, need to eat fruits. Some of the best sources of fiber are apples, pears, and raspberries. Fiber not only helps reduce bad cholesterol but also helps in digestion, thereby reducing the chances of certain health problems associated with schizophrenia such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
Vegetables don’t have heart-heavy cholesterol, are packed with essential vitamins and fiber, and are low in calories and fat. Veggies like sweet potatoes, kidney beans, and lima beans contain potassium that could help in keeping blood sugar in check. The best food for schizophrenia is spinach as it is high in folate, which could help in easing symptoms of schizophrenia. Apart from spinach, folate can also be found in asparagus and black-eyed peas.
- Fatty fish
Since omega-3 fatty acids cannot be produced by the body, one needs to get them through food such as fatty fish like salmon and mackerel. Omega-3 fatty acids not only ease but also prevent the symptoms of schizophrenia and even slow down the progress of the disease. Vegetarians can intake walnuts and ask their doctor to prescribe omega-3 supplements.
- Crab and oysters
According to research, there could exist a relationship between schizophrenia and low levels of zinc, which can be found in lobsters, crab, and oysters, as well as fortified cereals and beef.
Clams are an amazing source of vitamin B12, and research has shown that low levels of vitamin B12 could result in psychosis, of which schizophrenia is a part. Try eating foods rich in vitamin B12 such as trout, liver, and clams. Vegetarians can ask their doctor for B-12 supplements.
Foods to avoid
According to some experts and research, sensitivity to wheat could be a factor in schizophrenia and other mental health conditions. One option is to switch to a gluten-free diet, which includes proteins found in grains like wheat and others.
- Refined sugars
Refined sugars found in foods like cake, candy, and sweetened beverages, contribute to diabetes, which is a huge side effect for those with schizophrenia. Cutting out refined sugars from one’s diet is a great way to manage schizophrenic symptoms.
Ways to incorporate apple cider vinegar in your diet for weight lossRead More...
Using apple cider vinegar in your diet is an age old method to lose weight. We’ve all read about the effects of apple cider vinegar and how it increases the metabolism of the body. But did you know that in addition to keeping your weight in check, apple cider vinegar stabilizes your blood sugar levels, controls cravings, provides constipation relief by aiding digestion and improves the health of your heart. Here are some ways in which you can incorporate apple cider vinegar in your diet to loose weight and stay healthy.
Apple cider vinegar can be used with olive oil, as a dressing for salads. Tomatoes and cucumbers taste really good when it has been drizzled with apple cider vinegar. You can also treat your taste buds by pickling vegetables with apple cider vinegar. It results in a delicious tangy taste. Preferably use organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
The best way to consume apple cider vinegar is by mixing it in water. Consume one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with every day to get the best results. Since it works best when taken before meals, this amount should be spread through the day. If you are having signs of nausea with this intake, start off by consuming one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a eight ounces of water. Increase your intake gradually. This will help your body to get accustomed to the addition in your diet.
The taste and smell of apple cider vinegar can put you off initially. However you can mix in other ingredients in your drink to enhance the taste. You can add a tablespoon of honey, ginger, lemon or cinnamon. Each of these ingredients provide additional benefits. For instance, honey aids in digestion and suppressing food cravings, lemons consists of pectin fibers that help in keeping the hunger pangs at bay, ginger helps in the removal of toxins from the body and cinnamon fights excessive fat storage and subsequent weight gain. Thus combining these ingredients with apple cider vinegar and water can assist you in your weight loss journey.
Here is a quick recipe for your apple cider vinegar drink
- Organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
Take ½ or 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass. Buy organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar as it contains higher amount of vitamins and acetic acid.
Add the vinegar into eight ounces of water and stir until completely mixed. You can add a tablespoon of honey to eliminate the tartness of the vinegar.
Consume it before means or an hour before you go to bed.
Your concise guide to estate planningRead More...
There are several entities such as trusts, powers of attorney and wills, involved in estate planning. They aid spouses and families of estate holders to benefit from the estate of the deceased. The absence of an estate plan leads the estate to go into probate and thereafter, judged by a court. Devising an estate plan requires one to go to an estate planning attorney to ensure that the welfare of the estate goes as one planned it to be.
Benefits of an estate plan
An estate plan is not only for the affluent, but also for those who want to ensure that their families have a hassle-free time after their demise. Following are some of the compelling reasons to opt for an estate plan:
- Saves your family from all legal hassles – An efficient estate planning saves the family from getting involved in laborious legal procedures.
- Reduces estate taxes – By gifting assets, you are able to lower the complete value of your estate because once assets are gifted, they cannot be held against the estate value. Consequently, the property taxes levied on your estate will decrease.
- Prevents unnecessary expenses – An efficient estate plan made with the advice of a skilled attorney helps you save your family from spending money for unnecessary causes such as taxes and litigation.
What you need before going to an estate planning attorney?
At the start of the estate plan, one is required to visit an attorney to ensure all requirements are set in the right order to carry out one’s final wishes without any legal roadblocks. Before leaving for an estate planning attorney, some essential things need to be prepped up, which include the following:
- Enlist names and addresses of all the parties associated with your assets.
- Get all your account information, insurance information, debt list, household inventory list, retirement plans, etc. arranged at one place.
- Gather as much information as possible that you may need to give to the estate planning attorney. The more information the attorney has, the better the estate plan will be.
Some of the common questions that you may want to ask the attorney include the following:
- How much do they charge for their services?
- How often should the will be updated?
- What are the best ways to reduce the tax requirements?
- What happens if any problem is encountered during the execution of the estate plan?
- Where to find an estate attorney?
To look for a reliable estate attorney, these are the usual sources:
- Ask your family members and friends for recommendations.
- Go for financial advisors and accountants in your area.
- Use advertisements as a means of finding an Estate Planning Attorney.
- Check dedicated websites of good attorneys, which not only lists their contact information, but also highlights the perquisites of choosing them. In addition, the website may include testimonials from satisfied clients.