Lower back pain is a disorder involving the nerves, muscles, and bones of the back. It is a common problem that everyone suffers from at some point in their life. As the pain affects the lower end area of the spinal cord – the lumbar region, the condition is also called as lumbago. The lumbar region is a complex structure of joints, muscles, ligaments, and nerves all of which perform together to give support to the upper body. Muscles in the L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5 regions of the vertebrae are responsible for flexibility and rotation of the hips. The nerves in this area support the muscles in the limbs. If any muscles or bones are strained in this area, it can impact a person’s routine tasks.
The pain symptoms can be in the form of a dull ache to a sudden stabbing sensation that can affect the body’s mobility. Daily activities like standing up straight, bending or moving around may become painful and strenuous. The condition may occur in an acute form as a repercussion of an injury or a health condition.
Over time the swelling in the muscles or the nerves heal, and the pain subsides. However, if the pain extends over a few weeks, then the condition becomes chronic, and effective measures need to be taken to assuage the discomfort.
Measures to ease back pain
If you are suffering from pain in the lower back, here are a few ways to help reduce the distress:
In most instances, lower back pain can be improved by putting a break on any strenuous activity – physical or mental. Resting for a few days will take off the pressure from the lower back and allow the muscles relax.
Cold and hot therapy
A hot application aids in improving circulation in the afflicted area. An increased blood flow brings with it essential nutrients and oxygen that help the muscles to heal and stay healthy. You can soak your body in a hot tub. Likewise, you can even use a hot water bottle or an electric heating pad on the lower back. Also, a heat wrap is a useful way alleviating low back pain. The continuous application of low-level heat helps to reduce stiffness and pain.
A cold application, on the other hand, reduces inflammation and acts an anesthetic that slows down nerve impulses. The numbness that manifests after applying the ice pack keeps the nerves from experiencing painful spasms. Using both these applications alternately is beneficial. For painless mobility, apply heat before any activity for relaxing the muscles. When you are resting, cold compression can be used to evade resurging inflammation or pain.
Medical treatments work in alleviating the painful condition. Along with medications, most doctors will recommend physical therapy for lower back pain relief. Following are some common medical treatments that your healthcare provider may prescribe:
- Epidural steroid injections – Steroid injections are administered for gaining temporary relief from pain by bringing down the inflammation around a nerve root. The steroid is directly injected into the outer part of the dural sac surrounding the spinal cord, through the aid of fluoroscopy – a live x-ray.
- Muscle relaxants – These medications are tranquilizers that act as an antidepressant for the nervous system. Once the brain stops sending pain signals to the affected area, resistance to mobility, any tightness, or spasms are numbed.
- Narcotic pain medications – Generally termed as painkillers, these opioids weaken the signals that are sent to the brain. This works by altering your body’s perception of pain. Such drugs offer relief from the low back pain for a brief period.
- Back braces – A back brace provides support and comfort to the lower back area and helps to get rid of any strain. Combined with physical therapy, a back brace can help speed up the healing process and offer relief from pain.
Exercising is instrumental as part of a long-term strategy to achieve low back pain relief in case the condition happens to be chronic. Pain management through a physical regimen involves the release of endorphins that are hormones made naturally in the body. These endorphins act to block pain signals from interacting with your brain.
Types of exercises used to alleviate lower pain:
- Stretching – One of the simplest physical activities, stretching helps to increase your lower back’s mobility levels. Stretching of the hips, and hamstring in the legs ensure that the lower back muscles stay supple and flexible.
- Core strengthening – Your core muscles in the abdomen, hip and gluteus muscles play a critical role in supporting the lower spine. Therefore, you should adopt some useful exercises to strengthen your core muscles.
Remember that you should only take any medications for lower back pain relief after consulting your doctor.
Ways to incorporate apple cider vinegar in your diet for weight lossRead More...
Using apple cider vinegar in your diet is an age old method to lose weight. We’ve all read about the effects of apple cider vinegar and how it increases the metabolism of the body. But did you know that in addition to keeping your weight in check, apple cider vinegar stabilizes your blood sugar levels, controls cravings, provides constipation relief by aiding digestion and improves the health of your heart. Here are some ways in which you can incorporate apple cider vinegar in your diet to loose weight and stay healthy.
Apple cider vinegar can be used with olive oil, as a dressing for salads. Tomatoes and cucumbers taste really good when it has been drizzled with apple cider vinegar. You can also treat your taste buds by pickling vegetables with apple cider vinegar. It results in a delicious tangy taste. Preferably use organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
The best way to consume apple cider vinegar is by mixing it in water. Consume one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with every day to get the best results. Since it works best when taken before meals, this amount should be spread through the day. If you are having signs of nausea with this intake, start off by consuming one to two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a eight ounces of water. Increase your intake gradually. This will help your body to get accustomed to the addition in your diet.
The taste and smell of apple cider vinegar can put you off initially. However you can mix in other ingredients in your drink to enhance the taste. You can add a tablespoon of honey, ginger, lemon or cinnamon. Each of these ingredients provide additional benefits. For instance, honey aids in digestion and suppressing food cravings, lemons consists of pectin fibers that help in keeping the hunger pangs at bay, ginger helps in the removal of toxins from the body and cinnamon fights excessive fat storage and subsequent weight gain. Thus combining these ingredients with apple cider vinegar and water can assist you in your weight loss journey.
Here is a quick recipe for your apple cider vinegar drink
- Organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
Take ½ or 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass. Buy organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar as it contains higher amount of vitamins and acetic acid.
Add the vinegar into eight ounces of water and stir until completely mixed. You can add a tablespoon of honey to eliminate the tartness of the vinegar.
Consume it before means or an hour before you go to bed.
Your concise guide to estate planningRead More...
There are several entities such as trusts, powers of attorney and wills, involved in estate planning. They aid spouses and families of estate holders to benefit from the estate of the deceased. The absence of an estate plan leads the estate to go into probate and thereafter, judged by a court. Devising an estate plan requires one to go to an estate planning attorney to ensure that the welfare of the estate goes as one planned it to be.
Benefits of an estate plan
An estate plan is not only for the affluent, but also for those who want to ensure that their families have a hassle-free time after their demise. Following are some of the compelling reasons to opt for an estate plan:
- Saves your family from all legal hassles – An efficient estate planning saves the family from getting involved in laborious legal procedures.
- Reduces estate taxes – By gifting assets, you are able to lower the complete value of your estate because once assets are gifted, they cannot be held against the estate value. Consequently, the property taxes levied on your estate will decrease.
- Prevents unnecessary expenses – An efficient estate plan made with the advice of a skilled attorney helps you save your family from spending money for unnecessary causes such as taxes and litigation.
What you need before going to an estate planning attorney?
At the start of the estate plan, one is required to visit an attorney to ensure all requirements are set in the right order to carry out one’s final wishes without any legal roadblocks. Before leaving for an estate planning attorney, some essential things need to be prepped up, which include the following:
- Enlist names and addresses of all the parties associated with your assets.
- Get all your account information, insurance information, debt list, household inventory list, retirement plans, etc. arranged at one place.
- Gather as much information as possible that you may need to give to the estate planning attorney. The more information the attorney has, the better the estate plan will be.
Some of the common questions that you may want to ask the attorney include the following:
- How much do they charge for their services?
- How often should the will be updated?
- What are the best ways to reduce the tax requirements?
- What happens if any problem is encountered during the execution of the estate plan?
- Where to find an estate attorney?
To look for a reliable estate attorney, these are the usual sources:
- Ask your family members and friends for recommendations.
- Go for financial advisors and accountants in your area.
- Use advertisements as a means of finding an Estate Planning Attorney.
- Check dedicated websites of good attorneys, which not only lists their contact information, but also highlights the perquisites of choosing them. In addition, the website may include testimonials from satisfied clients.